Suggest treatment for vaginal bleeding post vigorous masturbation

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
Hi, I had a rather vigorous masturbation session on Friday which led to bleeding in my virgina. I should point out I do have rather long fingernails.
I have been told by my doctor I have thin virginal walls due to the menopause. I had this checked yesterday at the GP out of hours. There was no bleeding from my cervix which looked normal but bruising further down near the virginal opening. There has been no bleeding in my pants but when I have gone to masturbate again it bleeds although less than the day before. Should I waste my own GP's time by paying them a visit as I know how busy they are. Please advise.
Posted Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
TRY SIMPLE REMEDIES AT HOME FIRST

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
IT is clear that two conditions have led to this.
First is ' thin vaginal walls ' which , is known as atrophic vaginitis.
This is common in post menopausal women due to deficiency of local estrogen , leading to brittle, friable and easily injured vaginal walls.
This, alongwith the rough trauma with the fingernails has led to the bleeding.
You can try something at home before you visit the GP.
First, avoid masturbating , touching or handling the area for a few days.
Second, please trim your nails to avoid further injury and risk of infection .
Third, just soak yourself in tubs of lukewarm water ( hot Sitz bath ) without any soaps, gels, cleansers, douches etc added to it, do this 5- 6 times a day and then XXXXXXX gently with a cotton towel.
Wear cotton underpants.
Apply aloe vera gel or cold ice compresses to the area.
You can use Soframycin or any other antibiotic cream also.
Further, once the bleeding stops and the abrasions heal, use lubricant during intercourse or masturbation.
IF this fails to help within a couple of days, see your GP.
All the best
Please feel free to discuss further.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for vaginal bleeding post vigorous masturbation 17 minutes later
Thanks for your prompt reply - the doctor suggested I go for a smear test and scan to rule our cancer of the uterus. Is this needed if there was no bleeding from the cervix or are they just being cautious. I saw two doctors yesterday the first could not find any cuts in my virgina and said i shoud see a consultant the second that she thought it was the bruising but we should not rule our cervical or uterus cancer.
Do I really need to bother with further tests?

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
GET THEM DONE.

Detailed Answer:
Any doctor is concerned with post menopausal bleeding.
They are being cautious, and a smear and scan will only reassure you.
If no cuts were found, the scan and smear become further more important.
Go ahead and get them done.