• question-icon

Suggest treatment for vaginal bleeding in an elderly person

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer
Question: for the last couple of days my wife has had bleeding from the vaginal area. She is 71 yrs old The blood is bright red. It stopped for a couple of days & started again today. She takes progesteron & recently started taking an antibiotic for roseca. She stopped the antibiotic the bleeding stopped but ha started again. Diagnosis? I might add that she is an extremely healthy woman.
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Diagnosis should be confirmed

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand the concerns.
Bleeding from the vagina is not normal in a 71 years old female.
It can be due to the senile vaginitis, senile endometritis, local lesions in the cervix or vagina.
One possibility is the decrease in the efficacy of the progesterone due to the antibiotics, which can also lead to vaginal bleeding due to progesterone withdrawal effect.
I suggest her to consult an OBGYN specialist for proper internal examination, pap smear , ultrasound and get further treatment should be done accordingly.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine