Suggest treatment for vaginal bleeding in an elderly person

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Diabetologist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Women's Health
Question: Ya I am 51 years soul and I still have my monthly thing. But the last four months I had it for one day. Then the next month I was two weeks late. Then I had it three weeks. Then four days ago I been spotting. And today I have it heavily. Is this normal?
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Normal

Detailed Answer:
Hello madam,
I am Dr Mittal.
I have read your message.
I will be answering your query.

First, yes. These symptoms are quite routine in elderly ladies who are about to enter into the perimenopausal phase.
The cycles are typically abnormal and irregular.
The regular pattern is lost and the bleeding also fluctuates depending on the ovulation that may or may not have happened in the particular cycle.

Besides this, other symptoms also appear which are perimenopausal markers-
Burning of feet,
Flushing,
Sweating,
Palpitations
are common features.
Often the symptoms are very troublesome.

However, there is typically no pain.
So if there is pain (outside of routine) then please let me know.

Best of luck,
Please feel free to ask any related question and I will try my best to help you.
Dr Mittal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Saumya Mittal 2 hours later
Thanks. The bleeding is really thick. Is that ok
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Any other symptoms?

Detailed Answer:
Hello again Madam.

Do you have any other symptoms ? A single symptom is difficult to analyze.

Awaiting..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
No
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needs usg and pap

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for the response.
The symptoms are most likely peri menopausal.
However at your age, other causes also need to be evaluated.
More so because you do not have any other symptoms.
I therefore think it would be prudent to test with an ultrasound of the pelvis and pap smear at the minimum.
Please let me know the reports as soon as possible.
Best of luck. Dr Mittal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D