Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

141 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for vaginal bleeding in an elderly person

Answered by
Dr. Saumya Mittal


Practicing since :2004

Answered : 2875 Questions

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Women's Health
Question: Ya I am 51 years soul and I still have my monthly thing. But the last four months I had it for one day. Then the next month I was two weeks late. Then I had it three weeks. Then four days ago I been spotting. And today I have it heavily. Is this normal?
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hello madam,
I am Dr Mittal.
I have read your message.
I will be answering your query.

First, yes. These symptoms are quite routine in elderly ladies who are about to enter into the perimenopausal phase.
The cycles are typically abnormal and irregular.
The regular pattern is lost and the bleeding also fluctuates depending on the ovulation that may or may not have happened in the particular cycle.

Besides this, other symptoms also appear which are perimenopausal markers-
Burning of feet,
are common features.
Often the symptoms are very troublesome.

However, there is typically no pain.
So if there is pain (outside of routine) then please let me know.

Best of luck,
Please feel free to ask any related question and I will try my best to help you.
Dr Mittal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Saumya Mittal 2 hours later
Thanks. The bleeding is really thick. Is that ok
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Any other symptoms?

Detailed Answer:
Hello again Madam.

Do you have any other symptoms ? A single symptom is difficult to analyze.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Saumya Mittal 2 hours later
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needs usg and pap

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the response.
The symptoms are most likely peri menopausal.
However at your age, other causes also need to be evaluated.
More so because you do not have any other symptoms.
I therefore think it would be prudent to test with an ultrasound of the pelvis and pap smear at the minimum.
Please let me know the reports as soon as possible.
Best of luck. Dr Mittal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

Recent questions on  Flushing

doctor1 MD

I am undergoing what appears to be an allergic reaction to food. I recently ate sashi-grade tuna (pan-seared only) and edamame (boiled, salted soybeans). I got a sudden, throbbing headache, severe flushing all over my body, and diarrhea. No shortness of breath or constricted airway, though. I ve taken 2 Benadryl tablets. Do I need to go to the ER?

doctor1 MD

I have a red rash on my chest just below my neck. It is bright red, kind of like when I use to take Niaspan and would have some red flushing. It started about three weeks ago. They changed my cholesterol a few months ago to Zocor. Could I be having a reaction to the meds. I had been taking Vytorin so I don t think it s the Zocor but I don t know.

doctor1 MD

Hi. I seem to run a steady low-grade fever and I often have a great deal of face flushing. It creates redness and actual heat coming off my face. I stay tired and when this happens regularly, i often develop a few small sores on my back. My dad called it jungle rot when he got them. He was in vietnam and korea.

doctor1 MD

Hi, may I answer your health queries right now ? Please type your query here...I am having severe pain in my neck shoulders and back.The muscles are extremely tight.This has been going on for a while.I am tired all the time.Generally don't feel well.Depression that hasn't responded to medication.Hair is thinning out all over on scalp.Skin is very dry and gets flaky on my face.I have facial flushing quite often.Vision is intermittenly blurry.Body aches and pain all over.Have trouble emptying my bladder sometimes.What do u think the cause may be?

doctor1 MD

Hi I m a 41 year old female and had a question in regards to facial flushing . I go through periods of time where I feel like I often feel flushed, my face gets hot and chest can get blotchy. It usually lasts about a half an hour or less. my...

doctor1 MD

Hi Dr. XXXXXXX xxxxxxx had advised me to try an allergy medicine with Decongestant because have been itchy throat for about 2 months now. I do have an appointment with allergist on the 30th. Anyway my symptons seemed a little better wasnt itchy at...

doctor1 MD

Yes. Something weird has been happening. I get really sad. Then I get a flushing of heat up my back, kinda of like chemicals going up through my arteries, to my head and ears which get hot. Sometimes I get a little pop at the end. Then I'm a...