• question-icon

Suggest treatment for urticaria

Posted on Thu, 3 Aug 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My wife has a rash that is causing her to itch, body to tingle and some slight swelling. She has been taking Benadryl and a topical cream but nothing seems to work.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Urticaria, tab Cetrizine, calamine lotion & oral steroids if required

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at HealthcareMagic
I have reviewed the attached photograph and it seems to be urticaria.
Urticaria is an allergic reaction to certain foods, drugs, infections, insect bite, thyroid disease and sometimes occurs without any cause.
If I was her treating doctor I would recommend her to take antihistaminic like tablet Cetrizine 10 mg twice daily and apply soothing lotion like calamine lotion on the affected areas twice daily.
If the rash still persists she can take a short course of oral steroids like tablet prednisolone 20 mg once daily for 5 days.
Steroids are prescription drugs and you need to see the doctor in person to get them.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist