Suggest treatment for urine leakage after a prostatectomy

Posted on Wed, 10 Jun 2015 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I PROSTATECTOMY a year ago and still suffer from urine leaking causing me to wear an absorbent pad that i change a few times a day. To control the problem I am also using a penis clamp; this is helping to reduce the leaking. The problem is that loose skin of the scrotum at the base of the penis gets caught in the clamp causing an annoying discomfort. Can some of this scrotum skin be removed to alleviate the problem? If so, what is the approximate cost, and is it normally covered by insurance?

Thank you for your help. XXXXXXX
YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Manuel C See IV 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Artificial sphincter is better for you.

Detailed Answer:
Good Day and thank you for being with Healthcare Magic!

Yes I believe that can be covered by insurance because that is a serious quality of life issue. I would suggest getting an artificial sphincter. This can make you dry day and night and you don't have to wear pads or use a penile clamp. Ask your urologist about it.

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications at: http://www.HealthcareMagic.com/doctors/dr-manuel-c-see-iv/66014 I would gladly help you. Best wishes
Follow up: Dr. Manuel C See IV 7 days later
What is an artificial sphincter? how and where is inserted/applied and is it permanent or removable?
XXXXXXX Paciariello
YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Manuel C See IV 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Inserted by minor surgery.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for your follow up question. Artifical sphincter is a like a sling inserted via a minor surgery to the perineal area. This is permanent and would help you with your incontinence. This is usually covered by your insurance and the doctor that dos your prostatectomy would know about this. I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications at: http://www.HealthcareMagic.com/doctors/dr-manuel-c-see-iv/66014 I would gladly help you. Best wishes
Dr. Manuel C See IV

Urologist