Suggest treatment for urinary tract infection

Dr. Rudina Balliu

Posted on Tue, 5 Sep 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I have a urine infection and I am new to this community and haven't found a doctor yet. Should I try Vit. C and Cranberry Juice or just go to the ER? Can I go to the emergency room? I haven't seen an Urgent Care or Quick Care facility in this area.
Answered by Dr. Rudina Balliu 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
A urine test is needed at first

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thank you for asking HealthCareMagic.
I have gone through your question.

If you have a Urinary tract infection a treatment with medication (antibiotic) should be started to prevent further complications (kidney infection).

Can you give me some more information so I can have a clear idea of your situation by answering the questions below:

What are your symptoms (burning/pain during urination, urgent feeling to urinate, urinate often...)

How long have you been with these symptoms? Did you have any urinary tract infection before?

Do you have any other health issues?

I would suggest doing both, drink cranberry juice, plenty of water ( more than 8 glasses/day), use warm compresses on the area you have pain, these will help you to get better but the infection will not go away totally.
Use a pain killer (Tylenol..) for the pain...

You can try to go to the emergency (ER) and explain them all your concern since you haven't found a doctor yet. They will do a urine test to confirm the diagnosis, a urine culture to find out the cause (the probable bacteria) and start the medication treatment together with the home remedies (cranberry, Vit C, drinking plenty of water).

Hope the answer is helpful. Feel free to ask further.

Take Care!
Dr Balliu

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee