• question-icon

Suggest treatment for urinary tract infection

Posted on Thu, 20 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My fiancée recently had a serious urinary track infection and was on penicillin antibiotic that cleared it up after 3weeks. Now she has very low iron, could the antibiotic have caused the low iron she now has.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
no

Detailed Answer:

is she 78 years old, as you've written? If this is true, then checking the gastrointestinal system might be required to investigate the lack of iron. In many cases low iron is the result of gastrointestinal bleeding which may be occult (not visible).

The antibiotic is not supposed to cause low iron.

There are various causes of low iron, including low iron intake (mainly low meat consumption), increased iron loss (bleeding from hemorrhoids, etc), skin diseases like psoriasis, etc.

So in conclusion the antibiotic is not likely to cause low iron. Other potential causes would have to be investigated.

Kind Regards!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 3 hours later
Yes, she is age 78. She also had unstop diarrhea for the first 2 weeks of the urinary track infection. But now she say she feels good has a good appetite and is is quite active for her age, she has no visible bleeding and is not depressed or moody. Walks every day, her iron is only 6 and was told it should be 40.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
The low iron is not related to the infection

Detailed Answer:
Low iron is usually caused by either inadequate intake (no meat in diet) or increased losses (hemorrhoids, polyps in colon, etc). In women after menopause who follow a normal diet (not deprived of any kind of food) the gastrointestinal system has to be investigated, starting with colonoscopy unless specific symptoms guide the investigation elsewhere. For example if she has upper gastrointestinal symptoms like heartburn then an upper gastrointestinal endoscopy should come first.

Checking her ferritin stores would help to get a better idea about the iron in her body.

Kind Regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 4 hours later
Thanks Dr. Zografakis, her Dr. did schedueled a colonoscopy for her in 3 wks.
just like you suggested.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You're welcome

Detailed Answer:
You're welcome, glad to help!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis