Suggest treatment for urinary tract infection

Dr. Naveen Poola

Urologist

Posted on Wed, 29 Apr 2015 in General Health
Question: For like the past month I've been having some issues where my urine has been coming out "yellower" than usual and some discomfort during the process. Then last week I had unprotected sex with my girlfriend and two days later I had two red spots on my foreskin that disappeared two days after that. They didn't blister or anything of the sort. Now I'm having pain on the left side of my penis when I urinate and in my left inner pelvis seems to be bothering me as well. What is going on?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Poola 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your symptoms may be due to urinary tract infection

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for consulting. I understood your concern.

Your symptoms may be due to urinary tract infection and not necessarily sexually transmitted infection. Please drink drink good amount of water if not contraindicated due to any other medical condition.

I suggest to undergo a urinalysis first and based on results further assessment should be planned. However, presence of STD cannot be ruled out completely as there was unprotected intercourse. You need testing for that as well simultaneously. Anyhow, symptoms you specified does not hint to the suspicion of any particular STD.

Hope it helps!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Poola 1 hour later
Regarding those bumps I was looking online and I'm torn because I read that herpes can be not seen and cause urinary pain. Is it possible that it could be herpes and what are the possibilities? I mean like I said they were red spots but they didn't hurt nor did they blister. Thank you so much. You've really been helpful.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Poola 32 hours later
Brief Answer:
it is less likely that you might have had an STD

Detailed Answer:
As you mentioned 'two days later I had two red spots on my foreskin that disappeared two days after that', it is less likely that you might have had an STD as it may also be due to trauma due to intercourse. However, we cannot completely rule it out and so you need further screening tests to relieve your apprehension.

Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Pradeep Vitta