Suggest treatment for urinary retention

Dr. Manuel C See IV

Urologist

Posted on Sat, 7 Nov 2015 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I visited a Urologist regarding my BPH. After testing my flow rate he decided he needed to place a catheter. Doing so there was another 2300cc of urine that emptied.
In the following 7 days my urine included significant amount of blood in the urine. However last 7 days urine is completely clear of blood.

Now my question is that once the catheter is taken out same thing will happen and the urine will back up in the bladder. What would be your suggestion from here?

Thanks
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Manuel C See IV 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Surgery might be needed.

Detailed Answer:
Good Day and thank you for being with Healthcare Magic!

Did your urologist give you a medicine (tamsulosin etc.)? There is a big chance you will be able to urinate after the remioval of catheter with the medicine that was given but there is also a big chance that you will suffer another urinary retention in one year. You might need to undergo prostate surgery and the type of surgery would largely depend on the size of your prostate and how healthy you currently are.

Regards, Manuel C. See IV, M.D. DPBU FPUA