Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

164 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for urinary incontinence

Answered by
Dr. Pankaj Borade


Practicing since :2011

Answered : 571 Questions

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: My 54 year old husband has been wetting his pants the last couple of weeks. Three times at night and once in the car. He isn't wetting the bed, it just seems he can't hold it once he realizes he needs to go.
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Borade 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
urinary incontinence, warrants investigation

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.
I can understand the distress he must be through.
The complaint of frequent urination with wetting of pants, and not able to hold urine, is suggestive if urinary incontinence. However, one needs a through physical examination to diagnose and establish a condition. The treatment and management will be decided after getting to the underlying cause.

Considering the need to physical examination, it is strongly advisable to see a local surgeon or urologist.
Additionally I would suggest you to consider following test that can help us knowing the cause for incontinence.
Tests that may be done to find the type and cause of your urinary incontinence include:
Urinalysis with complete urine culture and microscopy: These tests show whether you have a urinary tract infection (UTI) or prostatitis, or blood or sugar in your urine.
Cough test: It checks for urine leakage while you cough.
Post-void residual volume: This test measures the amount of urine left after you empty your bladder.

The management can be decided based on the underlying etiology.

Hope you find my opinion satisfying. For further queries kindly revert back here.

Dr Pankaj B
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Frequent urination

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctor, My Cousin is Taking following list of tablets Hapdol 1.5mg , Suphitac 200 mg, Eromacid, Litheum SR, Hexydyl, R-Don from last 4 years... daily :( :( ....and now i see that there is problem with her Motions( Constipation), Her Menstruation is stopped, even she has frequent urination. Could you please help me in understanding will these drugs severely have the side effects...and how to overcome the situation... Will it have serious effect on the Urination.....the frequency of urination is very high...Help me in getting solution for this please please...I will be very grateful to you ..Thanks in advance a lot.

doctor1 MD

hello doctor, im really suffering because of frequent urination and that too a pressure of urgency,took urine report doctor gave me pills giving the reason that pus cells were found 8-10, pls suggest whether it could be due to kideny failure as am facing this for 2 months now.

doctor1 MD

I have been suffering form urinary tract infection symptoms since August 2010, following sex after a long period of abstinence (I am female). My doctor prescribed Urizone and Ciprobay, then Flagyl and Macrodante. Nothing helped. He took a pap smear and swab from the urinary tract and ureaplasma and mycoplasma were found. He treated me with Azithromycin, Zithromax, Doxycycline - still no improvement. Symptoms are still present. Should I see a urologist? Is it possible that the urinary tract got injured during sex and that that is causing symptoms of frequent urination, burning. Each time after sex, the symptoms are worse. I don t know how to get rid of these symptoms.

doctor1 MD

My boyfriend is experiencing a dull ache in his inner thigh/groin area and more frequent urination. He went to the doctor and had blood work and a urine sample tested...all clear (blood counts were normal, no sign of infection). He is currently taking antibiotics...but if there is no infection...what could it be.

doctor1 MD

I'm having slight bleeding when I urinate and also light vaginal bleeding . I am also having slight abdominal pain . I had cervical cancer and had to have a complete hysterectomy 36 years ago in which they removed my uterus, 1 ovary and cervix. ....

doctor1 MD

I m freaking myself out that I have bladder cancer! I ve had frequent urination for about two months. Now I m having dull pains and cramps on my sides and lower abdominal

doctor1 MD

I’m a male 76 years of age and have had some pain in the pubic area when I urinate - I have had to yhrinate very frequently as well for the past three days -this morning I urinated blood (first time ever) - since my first episode of urinating...