Suggest treatment for urinary incontinence

Dr. Pankaj Borade

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: My 54 year old husband has been wetting his pants the last couple of weeks. Three times at night and once in the car. He isn't wetting the bed, it just seems he can't hold it once he realizes he needs to go.
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Borade 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
urinary incontinence, warrants investigation

Detailed Answer:
Dear,
Welcome to HCM.
I can understand the distress he must be through.
The complaint of frequent urination with wetting of pants, and not able to hold urine, is suggestive if urinary incontinence. However, one needs a through physical examination to diagnose and establish a condition. The treatment and management will be decided after getting to the underlying cause.

Considering the need to physical examination, it is strongly advisable to see a local surgeon or urologist.
Additionally I would suggest you to consider following test that can help us knowing the cause for incontinence.
Tests that may be done to find the type and cause of your urinary incontinence include:
Urinalysis with complete urine culture and microscopy: These tests show whether you have a urinary tract infection (UTI) or prostatitis, or blood or sugar in your urine.
Cough test: It checks for urine leakage while you cough.
Uroflowmetry,
Post-void residual volume: This test measures the amount of urine left after you empty your bladder.

The management can be decided based on the underlying etiology.

Hope you find my opinion satisfying. For further queries kindly revert back here.

Regards.
Dr Pankaj B
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T