Suggest treatment for urinary incontinence

Posted on Fri, 30 May 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I am a 73 year old man. I have suffered from urinary frequency for ten years. During the day I pee about every two hours and during the night I wake up and pee two or three times. I have tried many medicines prescribed by my urologists and many over the counter supplements but with no success. What should I try next? What diagnostic testing should be done? What surgeries?

The medicines I have tried are Flomax, Myrbetriq, Proscare, Rapaflo, Sanctura, Toviaz and Vesicare. The supplements I have tried are BetterMan, Prostale X, Saw Palmetto and True Prostate Flow.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Poola 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
CT abdomen/Pelvis, Urodynamic studies

Detailed Answer:

Thank You for consulting HealthcareMagic!

I am really sorry for your condition. I can understand your concern. As you have already underwent many treatments and evaluations, I can suggest only few things. Based on your age Prostomegaly, recurrent urinary tract infections, Urinary incontinence problems etc can be suspected. If you have not undergone yet, you need uroflometry, CT abdomen/Pelvis, Urodynamic studies and a thorough physical examination by a Urologist. I can assure that if these things are done, you can surely get a probable diagnosis and then it can be treated appropriately. Do not any supplements not specifically prescribed by your treating Urologist.

Stay healthy and thank you for consulting! You can contact me again anytime, if you need clarifications or further assistance in future. Kindly rate the answer if you are satisfied.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Poola 3 hours later
I have two follow-up questions:

1. What is Prostomegaly?

2. Do you suggest any medications for BPH or overactive bladder other than those that I listed in my original question?
Brief Answer:
It is enlargement of prostate gland, same term use

Detailed Answer:

My answers to your follow up qs:

1. What is Prostomegaly?

It is enlargement of prostate gland, same term used for BPH.

You are already on many medications and have used many. I do not think that right the need is to prescribe you more medications but to confirm the diagnosis for your symptoms and then treat it appropriately. Moreover, today’s research indicates that a move toward individualizing the dosing of prescription agents is warranted and it can happen only after physical consultation / Your doctor will know about these drugs.

Take care!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Naveen Poola

Urologist