Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
145 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Suggest treatment for urinary incontinence and burning sensation during urination

Answered by
Dr. Michelle Gibson James

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2001

Answered : 11304 Questions

Posted on Tue, 30 Aug 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: i am constantly peeing my pants and bur ning when i pee and only a little comes out at a time. i keep going to the dr and he says i have a bladder infection? but really this is my fifth one this year !!!!

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
different possible causes, consider a urologist for assessment

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Based on the symptoms mentioned, it does sound as though you are experiencing recurrent urinary tract infections.

Risk factors that increase the chance of recurrent UTIs are: (1) frequent intercourse
(2) presence of cystocele- weakening of the wall between the bladder and vagina causes bladder to push through or into the vagina

(3)post voiding residual urine- the bladder is not completely emptying

Diagnosed by imaging such as IVP (intravenous pyelogram) or studies such as cystometry .
Done by a urologist

(4)diabetes, kidney disease, structural problems with the urinary tract, blockage in some aspect of the urinary tract

These would require blood tests for the diabetes or kidney and imaging such as ultrasound

If you continue to get frequent infections, the use of prophylactic medication (meds to prevent infection), may be recommended for 6 to 12 months.
This reduces the chance of the repeated infections causing permanent damage

If related to intercourse then medication before intercourse only is recommended.

The use of cranberry juice/products , has also been found to be helpful as well

Summary: (1) need to consider seeing urologist to find if there is a specific cause
(2)cranberry products
(3) antibiotics for 6 to 12 months may be needed

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Cystometry

doctor1 MD

yes please my husband has a stretched enlarged bladder from driving a bus for many years... this resulted in bph . he is on 3 bph meds and his...

doctor1 MD

Hello Doctor, U suggested me following test...but its not available in most of the Pathology lab.. So please can guide me on the same.. Cystometry...

doctor1 MD

My son 9 year old felt inflammation in urine and dr put him on alkasol and antibiotic and asked us to get ultrasound and urine routine and culture...

doctor1 MD

I had circumcision about a week back.I have burning sensation at times, & less urination when consuming water, the urination is good & without...