Suggest treatment for urinary incontinence and bleeding after intercourse

Posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 in Women's Health
Question: I started my period early on birth control so I stop taking it finally it stopped. When I pee I think I finished and stand up small amount runs out. The uncontrolled bladder has been going on for three months. Everything stopped. I had sex with my husband last night. I get up there is small amount of blood and the pee starts running down my leg.

What could be wrong
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Due to overactive bladder.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
You most probably have an overactive bladder.
Overactive bladder is a form of urinary incontinence, which is the involuntary release of urine. Common causes for overactive bladder include:
1.Urinary infection
2.consumption of caffeine, which increases urine output and can cause spasms in the bladder muscle
3.consumption of ingredients that you may be allergic to
4.events that cause anxiety
5.infrequent urination (holding urine for too long a period of time)
small bladder capacity
6.structural abnormalities in the bladder or urethra
7.constipation
Your symptoms might improve over time on it's own or with simple measures as follows.
Treatments can include bladder training and medication. In bladder training, you use exercises to strengthen and coordinate the urethra and bladder muscles to control urination. Such exercises teach you to prevent urinating when away from the toilet and to anticipate the urge to urinate. Additional techniques to help overactive bladder include:
1.avoiding caffeine or other ingredients that may encourage overactive bladder
2.using timed voiding, or urinating on a schedule -- for example, every two hours
3.adopting healthy urination habits, such as taking enough time to urinate and relaxing muscles during urination.
The medication oxybutynin is used to control such problems as urgent, uncontrolled, or frequent urination and other conditions that affect the bladder muscles. Oxybutynin works by relaxing the bladder muscles to prevent urinary problems. However, there are newer drugs available that may have fewer side effects.
So if the problem persists so much as to disrupt your daily life then please consult your doctor and discuss regarding starting medications or bladder exercises.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal
Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN