Suggest treatment for urinary incontinence along with interstitial cystitis

Posted on Fri, 19 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: Med for intrlsitial cystitis of bladder, burning and incontinene
Having lots of burning and frequency since Sancutra D/C
I have been on a restricted for 4-5 years
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The medications given below could be beneficial for your symptoms.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir, Hi
Welcome to HCM.
I appreciate your concern for the symptoms and the discomfort associated with interstitial cystitis.

A combination of treatment may be required to relieve your symptoms.

The following oral medications may improve the signs and symptoms include:

1. To relieve pain: Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen.
2. To relax your bladder and block pain: Imipramine or Amitryptiline
3. To reduce the urinary frequency and urgency: Loratadine
4. An appropriate course of antibiotic (like Ciprofloxacin) after the urine examination.

Besides the medications certain lifestyle modifications are found to be effective:

1. Eliminating the foods in your diet that are potential bladder irritants may help to relieve the discomfort of interstitial cystitis e.g., carbonated beverages, caffeine in all forms (including chocolate), citrus products and food containing high concentrations of vitamin C. Also consider avoiding similar foods, such as tomatoes, pickled foods, alcohol and spices.
Artificial sweeteners may aggravate symptoms in some people.

2. Bladder training:
It involves going to the toilet according to the clock rather than waiting for the need to go. You start by urinating at set intervals, such as every half-hour whether you have to go or not. Then you gradually wait longer between bathroom visits.
During bladder training, you may learn to control urinary urges by using relaxation techniques, such as breathing slowly and deeply or distracting yourself with another activity.

These self-care measures also may help:

Wear loose clothing. Avoid belts or clothes that put pressure on your abdomen.
Reduce stress. Try methods such as visualization and biofeedback.
If you smoke, stop. Smoking may worsen any painful condition, and smoking contributes to bladder cancer.
Exercise. Easy stretching exercises may help reduce your interstitial cystitis symptoms.

Hope the suggestions given above could help you in getting the relief form the symptoms of interstitial cystitis.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali