Suggest treatment for urethral polyps

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Tue, 17 Mar 2015 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I am 44 yrs old female an in 2013 I was diagnosed with microscopic blood in my urine. In 2014 I went to a urologist he did a work up pathology test (testing for cancer cells), cystoscope, ct of abdomen and pelvis and the results showed I had Urethra polyps. He did nothing other than he wanted to see me in six months. Went back to PCP and she really scared me saying that is not normal to move up my six month visit with him. So I went back to a different urologist for a second opinion. Had another cystoscope done he confirmed the dx of Urethra polyps. Did nothing he said polyps in that area tend not to be cancerous to leave alone see you in six months. My question is if they are nothing to worry about why do I have to keep coming back every 6 months for the rest of my life? Neither doctor took a biopsy of the actual polyps. I am worried and scared and looking for a third opinion now. I am a non smoker. Not sure what caused me to get urethra polyps? Why are the urologists I am seeing taken a passive approach here but my PCP is reacting proactively? PCP says not a common thing and urologists say they see it.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Urethral Polyps is non cancerous benign lesion.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have been detected to have Urethral Polypwhile being investigated for microscopic hematuria.

Urethral polyp s are benign non cancerous lesion more common in females and are usually from birth and detected on Cystoscopic examination .

Since they are benign and not likely to become malignant they are left alone .

They are excised( Endoscopically) only when present problem like gross hematuria or difficulty in urination.

What ever you have been advised by two Urologist is a common practice followed all over the world..

I think you should not worry about it at all..

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.