Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

177 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for urethra blockages from scar tissue

Answered by
Dr. Shoaib Khan

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2009

Answered : 9409 Questions

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: My friend had prostate cancer that was treated with radiation, hormones, and radio active seed implants. this was performed about 10 years ago. Currently he experiences urethra blockages from scar tissue at the entry point from his bladder, The doctors have extreme difficulty inserting a catheter. He had to have surgery to cut the scar tissue and relieve his ability to urinate. This procedure was repeated every six months as his ability to urinate decreased to a dribble. Now, this routine is down to every three months. Is there any new procedures that can give him a more permanent solution. Note: I too had prostate cancer and received the same course of treatment five years ago. Medical procedures improved when I had prostate cancer. Fortunately, I have returned to normal urination and have been cured. Can you recommend anything I can relate to my friend?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
One solution does come to my mind

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help.

Of course, you do understand that your friend's situation is quite unique and complex as well. You also need to understand that a surgical procedure in itself results in the formation of scar tissue. So, the more often a surgery is performed, more are the chances of an increased percentage of scar tissue and recurrence of scar tissue formation.

In my opinion, instead of going ahead with surgical options, there does exist a more simple solution which can be tried: Permanent suprapubic catherters. These help in draining urine directly from the urinary bladder, not requiring a healthy urethra at all. Why don't you suggest the same to your friend. Of course, quality of life in comparison to what he is currently leading should improve. You could do a little research about the same and speak with him and his doctors.

I hope you find my response helpful and informative. For now, this is the only solution I could really think about. Of course, permanent suprapubic catheters do carry the risk of infections, etc; but it would be a solution we can easily tackle. Please also feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 4 days later
Your suggestion is interesting. Is this suprapubic catheter inserted through the penis? does it have a valve to permit draining, or does the user have to wear a bag for draining? Does this catheter have to be exchanged every so often, like on a monthly basis, or is it semi permanent? How does the patient guard against infection? How is infection controlled?

My friend's doctor Zito advised him of a procedure where he could have a catheter inserted and held in place using the extra skin at the head of his penis. My friend was never circumsized, which facilitates this procedure. But, how does the patient control the flow of urine? Dr. Zito said that the catheter would have to be changed every month to avoid infection. Is this procedure what you had in mind?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not the same as you are picturing sir

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again sir.

A suprapubic cathether is inserted through the region where the pubic hair grows directly into the bladder, and not through the penis. One end of the catheter is placed into the urinary bladder and the other is attached to a urine bag, so drainage takes place automatically.

There are semi-permanent suprapubic catheters (made of silicon) which can be used for a duration of 6 months to a year. These silicon catheters have reported a lesser chance to the development of infections, and further infections can be avoided by practicing good hygiene and also learning how to care for a permanent catheter which the caring nurse of doctor will advice you on.

I am guessing Dr. Zito had a more permanent urethral catheter in mind, which is placed inside the penis. So this is not what I had in mind sir.

And flow of urine need not be controlled by the patient as the pressure gradient promotes automatic drainage of urine.

I hope you find my response helpful sir. I also hope I have explained things to you in a manner best understood by you. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always available to help.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  Urinary bladder

doctor1 MD

I have a 7 year old son with ocular motor apraxia. is there a relationship with OMA to bedwetting and daytime wetting? he still wears a pull up and can t seem to control his bladder. he has seen 2 urologists and he has a normal bladder. he has seen a neurologist and has sensation and seems to have control. teh neuroligist feels he will outgrow it, but it is such an inconsistent problem.

doctor1 MD

I am a 31 yo female who has been experiencing urinary urgency and incontinence for about 2 years with abdominal pain. Had gall bladder removed about 3 years ago. My recent labs show elevated AST and Alt with low red blood cell count but high MCV MCH.Are any of these things related?

doctor1 MD

I am an artritic patient (63 years) for 15 years. MRI revealed I have stenosis in the spinal nerve. One of my problem is I cannot have satisfying sex. There is severe sensation in my penis on the thought of sex and susequently a burning sensation on ejaculation. I have to go often to urinate while having sex. My urine and other parameters have been checked and are normal with no bladder or kidney calculi.

doctor1 MD

My name is Lindsey. I m 21 going on 22 years old and weigh abou 230 lbs. at 5 ft. tall. I had kidney reflux as a child and so did my sister, and cousin. I have a family history of kidney problems. My aunt has kidney disease, my grandma just had a non cancerous tumor removed from her bladder and my mother found that she has blood in her urine. My question is that some days I have to urinate very frequently, but most days its just normal. I have noticed for a while that after I urinate and empty my bladder I feel like my bladder is empty and i m done urinating, however I can sit right back down on the toilet after being done or a minute later and have a few more drops of urine that I need to get out. There has also been a few times when I go to urinate and have to go very badly that I will sit down to urinate and its like there is a hesitation to at first like it won t come out for a second or two then it finally will. I will also add that I never have burning when urinating. I also have pitted edema on both of my lower legs its just a little worse on one side than the other, but it s not in my feet or ankles. So is this all normal or should I see a urologist?

doctor1 MD

I am a 77year old female . Uti have been with me for 40 some years. The start over the back my shoulders, down both arms, into both hands and fingers, with pain like fiery symptoms at start of urination. At seams that no physition has ever heard...

doctor1 MD

What conditions or diseases are associated with blood in the urine, and if needed, what specialty doctor do I need to see?

doctor1 MD

I had an uncomfortable bladder, so I tested first void. It tested positive for nitrite and trace leucocyte. I used a second strip to be sure and again nitrite appeared positive. I had a cystoscopy scheduled for the morning anyway but when I gave...