• question-icon

Suggest treatment for upset stomach, stomach pain, nausea, gas and frequent bowel movements

Posted on Tue, 8 Aug 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Last Thursday evening, after I ate dinner, I had an upset stomach twice. I took an Imodium and calmed it down. For the next few days, I have had a slight stomach ache that did not affect my appetite. It seemed to bother me more during the day. At night, I felt fine. This morning when I woke up, I felt fine for the first couple of hours. Around, 12:30, I started having pain on the left side of my stomach that got pretty intense. I started having some nausea. As the pain worsened, I took 2 Gas ex pills. The pain subsided some, and I begun to have gas. Then, I started having bowel movements and threw up once. I have had about 4 bowel movements, none actually being watery diarrhea. The majority of the pain has been relieved, and I have slept on and off throughout the evening. I am prone to constipation, always have been. Also, I am caring for my daughter, who has Huntington's Disease so I do suffer from some depression and anxiety.
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Trapped gases

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. It sounds like a case of trapped gas in the bowel due to a mild viral bowel infection.
Trapped gas could also be due to a variety of causes, such as indigestion, certain foods, constipation, disturbed intestinal flora, irritated bowel etc.
Start by avoiding foods such as dairy products, onions, radishes, cabbage, broccoli, legumes and sprouts. Take a probiotic to restore the bowel flora and drink plenty of water.
Being physically active also helps with the bowel movements in case of constipation and trapped gas.
Stress can also be a major cause for intestinal dysfunction and the main cause for irritable bowel syndrome. Having a good night's sleep is very important when living in a stressful environment.

I hope this helps. If you have further questions I'd be happy to answer them.

Wishing you good health and all the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Ornela Ademovi