Suggest treatment for upset stomach, constipation and frequent bowel movement

Posted on Tue, 30 Jun 2015 in Child Health
Question: my daughter is 1 year old.
she is having stomach upset since last 5 days.
out of these 5 days,2 days she passed stool only for 2-3 times.
yesterday she passed stool 6 times which was semi solid texture.
please advise.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
All you need to do is to maintain proper hydration

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through the details and understand your concerns. But let me assure you that irrespective of the cause, the mainstay of treatment is the maintenance of hydration. You need to give her ORS (oral rehydration solution) frequently. You need to monitor the urine frequency and not the stool frequency. If the urinary frequency is ok, you need not worry. The stool frequency will come down on its own in a few days and does not need any intervention. Even if it is due to some bacterial cause, the body can take care of it unless it is associated with bloody diarrhoea.

In the meantime, giving her plenty of yogurt/curd would be helpful. It contains plenty of beneficial bacteria which should be helpful in such a situation. Restriction of milk for a week would be advisable. A rice based diet is preferrable.

Hope that helps.

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician