Suggest treatment for upper extremity radiating pain with neck pain

Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 8 Dec 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: 66 yr. old male with 3 incidences within past week:
1. sudden cramping of right forearm-since that time has slightly less feeling in right hand and arm-arm felt tired
2. sudden twitching of right side-felt like electric shock up his right side of hand, arm and shoulder
3. sudden major movement of right hand and arm; kind of flopping/spasms that went from fingers-hand-shoulder-right ear was warm-lasted 5 minutes-described as feeling of electricity
Since that time he has dropped countless objects-lost ability to easily hold things with right hand
Going to see a neurologist
Just a few more things...
No changes in walking, speech, clear cognitively
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Require detailed examination by a neurologist

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
The possibilities at this age may be seizure, stroke or cervical radiculopathy.
If you have Intermittent abnormal movement with posturing then possibility of seizure may be there.
Neck pain and radiation to upper limb may be due to cervical radiculopathy.
Stroke will be sudden in onset and usually non progressive and no variability.
You need to visit a neurologist for detailed examination and evaluation.
The treatment depends upon diagnosis.
Provide any other details if available.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Neeraj Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina