Suggest treatment for upper chest pain

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 28 Nov 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have had upper chest pain today since 7:30 am. It felt like spider-webby intially, now it feels like bruised when I breathe in and out. Miserable. it is deep in the center of my upper chest.I have no pain anywhere else in my body. Just the deep center of my chest. I ate nothing, nor drank nothing out of the ordinary.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
can be cardiac or gastric.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
Have gone through your details and i appreciate your concerns.
Chest pain can be either cardiac or gastric in origin.
As your age is 49 initially i would suggest you to go for a 2d echo and blood cardiac enzymes Troponin I.
These tests are done to rule out cardiac problem.
2d echo is highly sensitive to rule out cardiac origin of pain.

If cardiac profile is normal this pain could be due to Gastritis or acid peptic disorder.Initially an endoscopy has to be done to rule out peptic ulcers as a cause of problem.

Do you have any acid peptic problem?
Any history of Heartburn?
Does the pain radiates to arm or jaws?
As of now i would suggest you to take an antacid like Omeprazole(40 mg over the counter) stat and if pain is not relieved in 30 minutes,go to nearest Emergency room.

Thanks!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Hi Dr. XXXXXXX

At one point, about a year ago, I was taking something for acid reflux ( over-the counter). It helped after 4 months and have had no issues since then. I just went and laid down for about 3 hours and now it only hurts when I breath deeply and it is faint. No other pain anywhere. It was just at the top of my chest. Now it feels like a deep bruise if I take a deep breath but just slightly. Thank you for your help. I was so scared because it was hurting for over 11 hours today. I can tell it is really in the center of my upper chest, not like any heartburn from food I have ever had, and I have had that only a few times.
xxxx
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
The pain you are trying to explain can be due to Dyspepsia also.
As suggested earlier take Omeprazole and see if pain responds to it,A higher dose of 80 mg can also be taken.

Once relieved go for investigations.

Hope i was helpfiul.

Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana