Suggest treatment for upper back pain

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 11 Aug 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have pain in the upper right side of my back that increases with movement (e.g.., twisting or turning)
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be a Muscle strain

Detailed Answer:

The pain of the upper side of your back can be due to-
1. Muscle strain- due to tear or pull of muscle fibers.
2. Infections like a paraspinal abscess.
3. Disc herniation.
4. Arthritis or ankylosing spondylosis.
5. Weak core muscles-Strengthening the muscles that support the spine helps keep the spine in its proper position and reduce the risk of sprains, strains and back pain.
6. Vitamin D3 deficiency.

Proper diagnosis involves investigations like an ultrasound of the abdomen, X-ray, and MRI of the spine after an examination by your primary physician.

The treatment will then depend on the cause.
Hot fomentation and oral muscle relaxants can provide a temporary relief till then.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee