Suggest treatment for underarm cysts

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 6 Nov 2015 in Lump
Question: I have a cyst under my arm for the past two or three weeks.. A week or two ago the cyst seem to be getting larger but it seemed to start draining and going down after I put a hot towel on it. The cyst now is not as big but it is still present. About a year ago I got 1 under my arm and it became infected which made me have to get it surgically removed and drained . MY question is what causes this to occur? And how long do they last?
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
depends

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
These cysts are called ateromas ad these are subcutaneous cysts under the skin that are attached to hair follicles. If it become clogged then it grows and it may become infected. Some people simply have predisposition to have more these cysts and there is bigger chance of such complications. Infection may occur during shaving or injury. It is the best solution to surgically remove this cyst but before it becomes infected. Once it is completely removed, it doesnt occur at same place anymore. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T