Suggest treatment for underactive thyroid

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Diabetologist

Posted on Mon, 22 Sep 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: My FT4 is 0.9ng/dl and my TSH = 1.72 mUI/L. I am 48 weigh 75 kilos and 170cms. I am always tired and can sleep for hours, i have had half my thyroid removed in 2007 and do not medicate. I have extremely heavy periods, suffer from anxiety a bit of depression and frequent constipation. I have gained 15 kilos since i turned 40 of which at least 10 since my thyroid op in 2007. Is it possible my thyroid could be underactive?
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Looks like prozac side effects

Detailed Answer:
HI

I have read your query
The normal levels of FT4- 1.0 -4.3 U
The normal levels of TSH- 0.3 - 5.0 U/mL
So by this I dont think that there is the issue of inactive hypothyroidism.
Yes FT4 is just outside the normal range, but that may be a lab variant
Besides, if it was hypothyroidism, the TSH levels would be raised as well.
So, I dont think that the issue of hypothyroidism is to be considered

However, I will agree that all your symptoms can be accounted for by hypothyroidism.
Generalized fatigue, heavy menses, depression, constipation, weight gain- all can be explained by hypothyroidism
However, all can also be accounted for by prozac.

All the symptoms you have mentioned can be caused as a side effect of prozac that you have been consuming. I will actually suggest you meet your doctor and have the medicine changed, or the dose modified.

Please feel free to contact for any further related queries
Dr Mittal
Follow up: Dr. Saumya Mittal 13 minutes later
Would prozac cause these symptoms even though i have been taking it for 18 years?
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Explained

Detailed Answer:
Yes, the side effects can happen at any given time.
Granted, it may also be due to depression. In which case the drug needs to be changed again
Dr Mittal