Suggest treatment for under-active thyroid

Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist

Posted on Thu, 29 Oct 2015 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Hi i have a question about underactive thyroid
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thyroid

Detailed Answer:
Please go ahead and ask your query pertaining to an underactive thyroid condition
Follow up: Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 3 hours later
Hi Doctor, i have been diagnosed with underactive thyroid and been given this medication to take: Euthyrox 25 ug.

I wanted to get a second opinion on this medication, is it a good medicine?

And are there any specific foods to avoid when having underachieve thyroid?

Thank You

Kind regards

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Underactive thyroid

Detailed Answer:
Yes it is beneficial for a person diagnosed with 'hypothyroidism'.

Euthyrox is levo-thyroxine which is the type of thyroid medication used routinely to treat individuals with an under active thyroid.

Generally, it is advisable to take it 60 minutes before breakfast in the morning, with water.

Certain types of medications/supplements interfere with it's absorption such as iron and calcium. So if you are on those, then it best to take them either at lunch or dinner, while taking the euthyrox in the morning time.

There are no dietary restrictions