Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

128 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for uncontrolled hypertension despite taking medication

Answered by
Dr. Ilir Sharka


Practicing since :2001

Answered : 5755 Questions

Posted on Sat, 2 Jun 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: what should I do when my blood pressure is reaching as high as 200--I am on 25 mgs of Losartan Potassium a day!
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:

Welcome on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that such high blood pressure values are quite high and dangerous; they may lead to serious complications such as hemorrhagic stroke, pulmonary edema, eye (retina) damage, kidney dysfunction, etc.

Considering your uncontrolled hypertension due to persistently very high BP values, your current therapy seems insufficient.

Losartan dosage (25 mg/day) is pretty low and should be increased up to 100 mg/day and it is necessary switching to multi drug therapy (two or more anti-hypertensive medications). A calcium channel blocker (Amlodipine, Lecarnidipine, etc.), a diuretic (Hydrochlorothiazide, etc), a beta-blocker (Carvedilol, Bisoprolol, Metoprolol, etc) could be alternatives in this regard.

Meanwhile, I recommend performing additional medical tests for investigating possible triggering factors of your persistent hypertension:

- complete blood count (possible anemia),
- thyroid hormones level (possible thyroid dysfunction),
- blood electrolytes level, urinary metanephrine, aldosterone and cortisol levels (for adrenal dysfunction),
- plasma renin activity,
- kidney and liver function tests,
- fasting blood glucose,
- arterial blood gas analysis

I recommend checking closely your blood pressure values for a couple of day (several times daily) and discussing with your attending doctor on the above mentioned issues.

Hope to have been helpful to you!

In case of any further questions, feel free to ask me again.

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on