• question-icon

Suggest treatment for umbilical hernia in an infant

Posted on Sat, 8 Jul 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hello, this image belongs to my 6weeks old daughter whose naval is outside. please check image and suggest.
she has the vomiting problem for last 4weeks, no improvement after medicine too.
rgs
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Umbilical hernia can occur due to low muscle tone.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. I have checked the attached images. The protrusion indicates umbilical hernia which is often seen in children of this age. It occurs due to low muscle tone. Nothing needs to be done about it. Most often as the child grows the muscles grow stronger and cover the hernia, thus returning back to normal. If the child is otherwise passing stool normally (it can be once in 10 days or 10 times a day - both are normal) you need not worry and no surgery is needed.

In case of vomiting I would need to ask if the child is exclusively breast fed or is formula milk being given. In case of formula feeds vomiting may occur. I also need to know if proper burping is being done. Also feel the abdomen of the baby and observe if you find any hard lump. Let me know the details and I would guide you accordingly.

I would wait for your response. Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 32 minutes later
sir, thanks for ur reply. It is completely breast feed till date...after every feed, there is vomit...burp is also done... weight is also fine n increasing...no lump as such.
but vomiting is there for long now...how much time it usually takes to get the naval set, pls suggest.
one of my niece is six yrs old and has her naval out...we don't wish to have such situation.
rgs.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Proper burping is important

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. You should burp the baby for at least 15-20 mins after each feed. All you need to do is to hold the baby head end elevated for this duration. The extra air taken causes distention and may cause the child to vomit out. Proper burping will ensure its escape and the milk will not regurgitate back from the stomach to the food pipe, thus providing relief.

If the vomiting still persists it would be advisable to visit a doctor in order to rule out pyloric stenosis.

Feel free to write back.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 15 hours later
thanks sir..after every feed, burp is being done..
still, vomit problem is there.
regards.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Domstal suspension can help.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. You may give Domstal Suspension (Domperidone) 0.3 ml thrice daily before feeds and see if that suffices. If not, it would be advisable to visit a doctor and to get the child evaluated.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician