Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for ulnar neuropathy

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 1115 Questions
During a stay in the hospital 10 days(11/1-11/10) for intestinal surgery, I developed ulnar neuropathy in the right hand(11/1-11/10) which has hampered my favorite activities; tennis, piano and clarinet. What can I do restore my hand to normalcy?
Posted Sat, 8 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: NSAIDS, Splints, Physiotherapy, ergonomic change Detailed Answer: Hello, I have gone through your query and understand your concern. The cure for ulnar nerve entrapment neuropathy may take time to cure. Our aim is to control the symptoms like pain and regaining the old strength and motion. 1. Avoid activities that require you to keep your arm bent for long periods of time. 2. If you use a computer frequently, make sure that your chair is not too low. Do not rest your elbow on the armrest. Correction of ergonomics at work or with a home computer may be all that is required. 3. Avoid leaning on your elbow or putting pressure on the inside of your arm. For example, do not drive with your arm resting on the open window. 4. Keep your elbow straight at night when you are sleeping. This can be done by wrapping a towel around your straight elbow or wearing an elbow pad backwards. Splints to be used at night also available for this purpose 5. Use Non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, such as aspirin, ibuprofen will be helpful in reliving pain and reducing inflammation. 6. strengthening the ligaments and tendons in the hands and elbows by Physical therapy. This needs Physiotherapist advice and follow up. Please follow the instructions given above. You will get better soon. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor