Suggest treatment for ulnar nerve entrapment in arms and wrist

Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I had sinitis with no symptoms other than ulner nerve pain in arms and wrist. After 21 days on
antibiotics I was resistant. Started having cough and chest discomfort Xrays showed bonchial pneumonia. Used wild oregano oil and Oregecan Resp and feeling better but both arms and wrists still in pain. Also
still weak after up a few hours. it's been 7 weeks. My husband returned from a trip visiting his mom
10 days in a nursing home and was very sick with fever etc.. Xrays showed he had pneumonia.
It seems I contacted what he had which manefested in a different way. He is doing much better. He had two to have antibiotics twice.Any thoughts on what I can do for myself? Thank you. YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Respiratory tract infection and ? cervical radiculopathy

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query. I can understand your concerns.
You had initially sinusitis (upper respiratory tract infection) which was followed by spread to lower respiratory tract (Broncho-pneumonia). The organism must have been the same and apparently contacted from your husband who had pneumonia after visiting his sick parent in a nursing home -hence hospital acquired infection and likely to be resistant to common antibiotics.
Avelox (moxifloxacin) and Cefprozil,a second-generation cephalosporin type antibiotic should be able to control bacterial infection causing respiratpry tract infection. However the causative organism has not been isolated by any culture in your husband or yourself.
If you have improved symptomatically i.e no fever or cough or chest pain,you need not take any further antibiotic/s.It would be better if you undergo complete blood count to check any low hemoglobin or leucopenia as you still feel weak.

Your pain in both wrists and arms have nothing to do with your respiratory tract infection. Ulnar pain in arms and wrists could be due to coexistent cervical radiculopathy. X-ray cervical spine would be justified if you are having persistent pain in arms and wrists.Are you a known diabetic ? If not,check your blood sugar fasting and post-prandial to exclude diabetic neuropathy? Steroids are usually given for carpal tunnel syndrome (wrist pain) which can occur in DM and hypothyroidsm.

Dr. T.K. Biswas M.D. XXXXXXX

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas 17 hours later
Thank you so much! I have seen three doctors in seven weeks with no
answers. My son a registered massage therapist was visiting this weekend.
He checked both arms and felt the ulner nerve was affected causing pain
in the wrists and both arms. I had a stenosis many years ago but not
the same symptoms. This may be a reason for cervical radiculopathy.
What to you think? I have soreness now in the upper spine. l would like
to excercise but still have weakness from bronchial pneumonia. Sitting
and resting doesn't help which my Dr reccommends. Is there any excercise
I could do while sitting?

Thank you for your help.
Kind regards,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Cervical radiculopathy

Detailed Answer:

For cervical radiculopathy,one can do cervical spinal exercise while sitting e.g flexion(look up),extension(look down),lateral rotation (look to right;look to left),lateral bending(try to touch your shoulder with your ear on right side;on left side) each movement ten times at least twice a day. These will ease out radicular pain.
Cervical spinal stenosis can give rise to arm pain(cervical radiculopathy).
MRI cervical spine will clarify the issue.

Dr. T.K. Biswas M.D. XXXXXXX