question-icon

Suggest Treatment For Ulcerative Colitis

Posted on Wed, 25 Oct 2017
Question: when I went to use the bathroom the other night I noticed a blood streak in the toilet. I havent noticed any change in my urine color usually light yellow. I have ulcerative colitis and sometimes blood is present in my stool. had several colonoscopies no polyps. dont kow if this was caused by fecal matter. more concerned with it being from my urine. like I said havent noticed any change in urine color. It was arather neat streak as well which was weird. Have a physical in few weeks dont know if I should see my doctor sooner?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh (50 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Yes, I do think this should be evaluated soon rather than waiting a few weeks. And although you are pretty sure the blood was from urine rather than intestinal, it should be determined definitively.

If you have no urinary or other symptoms (such as fever, flank pain, nausea) that should be addressed immediately, you can call your doctor's office and see if he/she or his/her partners can get you in tomorrow. If not, go to an urgent care clinic tomorrow (or tonight).

If you go in to an urgent care clinic, request specifically to see a physician (doctor, MD) as many are staffed mostly with PA and NP.

In the clinic, the doctor will do an exam, and do a "dip stick" urinalysis which is a quick way, while you wait, to get an idea of if there are abnormalities in the urine. It can check for blood, protein, sugar, and signs of infection (leukocyte esterase). The urine should then be sent to the lab for a full analysis.

Asymptomatic blood in the urine in men can be from anything that causes irritation or inflammation in the genitorurinary tract. This can include stones (you'd likely feel this), prostatitis (again, usually causes symptoms), urinary tract infections, vascular abnormalities, sometimes a lot of exertion (usually the blood from this is microscopic), and tumors or growths.

Of course UC can cause bleeding from inflammation. Perhaps when you had diarrhea, there was bleeding from an irritated hemorrhoid and that blood remained in the toilet?

You write "when I went to use the bathroom the other night" so I am not sure of the time course for this. If it happened a couple of nights ago and no further incidents, you can wait to call your doctor tomorrow. However, if it happened last night, it would be best to go to the urgent care tonight because it was recent and so the labs may be able to pick up on what you saw.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.

Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh (1 hour later)
could the blood be from my urine and me not notice? very concerned have been reading about bladder cancer, I am a non-smoker.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh (28 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
It's possible the blood was from your urine, but best to get a urinalysis to see if that could be what happened. Microscopic blood in the urine will go unnoticed, but typically men do see if there is visible blood.

The risks of bladder cancer are quite low, but that is one reason to go in to have this evaluated. I would not jump to the conclusion, however, that that is what is going on.
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh