• question-icon

Suggest treatment for ulcerative colitis

Posted on Thu, 6 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My daughter has been dx with ulcerative colitis and her GI is wanting to put her on Humira. Her dx is mild to moderate colitis. I am just not sure if medication is the right way to go with this she is 25 and has been dx since the age of 7. Any suggestions.
Answered by Dr. Sunil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Proper medication would stop progression of disease.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking query on this forum.

Ulcerative colitis is an inflammatory bowel disease that mainly affects the lining of the large intestine. This autoimmune disease has a relapsing-remitting course, which means that periods of flare-ups are followed by periods of remission. Right now, there's no medical cure for UC is the drug of choice for maintaining remission. Drug of choice is Mesalamine.It is useful for the treatment of mild-to-moderate ulcerative colitis. It is better tolerated and has less adverse effects as compared to Adalimumab but yes Humara (Adalimumab) can also be used in young patients and is approved by FDA.So It depends on physician to physician.

Medication would stop progression of disease.Though there is no cure yet by use of proper medication progression of disease can be controlled.Without medical therapy things would get worse so please adhere to therapy and regular follow ups.

Thanks!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Sunil

Gastroenterologist