question-icon

Suggest treatment for ulcerative colitis

Posted on Mon, 18 May 2015
Question: My doctor diagnosed me with Ulcerative Colitis because she thought that I had 2 ulcers in my colon during a colonoscopy. She took tissue samples of course. I then had follow up blood work to look at my inflammation markers. The markers had all dropped to normal levels from the original blood work I had before the colonoscopy. My doctor now wants to do another test to check the area again and look at the tissue. Could she be incorrect with her diagnosis?
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Following explanations...

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your medical history carefully and understood your concerns.

First, I want to have the reports of your colonoscopy and biopsy for a more specific opinion.

There might be other causes to colitis other than ulcerative, including viral and bacterial which have the similar presentation during colonoscopy. Furthermore, if the inflammation markers in the blood are raised (especially when it comes to high leucocytes levels).

That's why another colonoscopy is advised by your doctor.

Looking forward to have your reports in!
Dr.Klerida
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist