• question-icon

Suggest treatment for typhoid

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: recently I have been diagnosed with Hepatitis A and E, a week before this I was diagnosed with enteric fever(suspected typhoid), even though I did not had any symptoms of typhoid. I have taken Ceftiaxone 2g/day IV for 6 days along with azithromycin 1g/day tablet for 6 days. Later again I was admitted to hospital for Hep-A and E for 4 days no treatment was given during hospitalization, only investigations were performed.Ultrasound was normal except mild liver enlargement (hepatomegaly) and Hepatitis A and E were positive and other serological investigation came negative. Bilirubin level was 10.4 on the day of admission(which should be less than 2) during discharge bilirubin level was 4.5
During discharge I was prescribed Udiliv 150 mg twice daily and Suprax once daily for 10 days. I feel the treatment was not proper as the typhoid was not confirmed all the test results came negative except RBC was little lesser than the normal range. Can you please tell me the course treatment given to me is correct?
Answered by Dr. Divakara 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need to go through the reports first.

Detailed Answer:
HI

Greetings from Dr.Divakara.P

Well first I need to know what tests were done to start treatment for Typhoid ( kindly upload the reports ) because some tests done for Typhoid can give false positive results which some doctor's may wrongly interprete as Typhoid. But if it is confirmed Typhoid then the treatment given to you is fine only thing is I would have given the same treatment for 3-4 days more.

But if it is not Typhoid then there was no need for the Inj Ceftriaxone .

So kindly upload the reports so that I can give more precise advise.

Regards.
Dr. Divakara