Suggest treatment for typhoid

Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist

Posted on Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in Infections
Question: Microbiology blood results:
S.TYPHI "O" - Positive 1 in 200 dilution
S.TYPHI "H" Positive 1 in 200 dilution
S. PARATYPHI "AH" - Negative 1 in 25 dilution
S. PARATYPHI "BH" - Negative 1 in 25 dilution.

How do I interpret? Please help me, do I have Typhoid.
I am already vaccinated to Salmonella.

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You have positive widal test.

Detailed Answer:
Hello P
Thanks for writing to HCM

You are suffering from typhoid fever.

Widal test (test for typhoid)is positive.Single antibody value of salmonella O or H, > or equal to 1: 160 is considered as positive.However four fold increase in follow up titration is confirmatory for typhoid fever.

In cases of typhoid,I suggest my patients to take injection ceftriaxone 1 gm I.V twice daily for seven days.Alternatively,tablet cefixime 200 mg twice daily for seven days can also be taken orally.
It may take a week for complete recovery.

Vaccination against salmonella doesn't give life long immunity.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Follow up: Dr. Indu Kumar 14 minutes later
Dear Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Thank you very much for your prompt reply.

However i am not clear about the action to be taken.

Should i start taking medicines as per your mail or i should go for confirmatory test.

If so when should i go for next test.

For your information , i am now feeling comfortable and my body temperature has come to normal , and no symptoms of sick .
Please advice.
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please find detail answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello P
Thanks for writing to HCM

You should start taking medicines as widal test is positive.You don't need any further tests.
In such condition,I suggest my patient's to take take oral medicines like tablet cefixime.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX