Suggest treatment for two bumps on the sides of tongue

Question
I have two symmetrical bumps on the side of my tongue at the back. They dont hurt but i can feel pressure if i touch them. The havent grown. But im just worried as to the cause.. Ive had them a few weeks now.
Posted Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
No worries, almost certain its nothing worth panic

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

It would be of utmost interest to know if this is the very first time you are noticing them or not. Are you used to observing the back of your tongue regularly? These two questions remain imperative to answer because, if you are not used to observing the back of your tongue, you can easily consider normal tonsils at the back of the mouth and think it is a problem. Without any clinical signs and symptoms like pain, redness, difficulties in swallowing and a recent upper respiratory tract infection, chances are extremely high that it should be very normal. If you are not used to examining your mouth or looking at the back of the mouth, this could simply be a normal finding. I really do not think you need to panic.

On the other hand, if you are used to observing your mouth, and this time around you are actually convinced there is a swelling, you might have to consult an ENT specialist. Your age and lack of pain however make the possibility of a cancer or tumor or something serious very very rare.

No panic as I wish you the best of health. Please, do feel free asking any further follow up queries in case of need.

Dr Bain