Suggest treatment for two bony small lesions in left hip cavity

Posted on Tue, 9 Jun 2015 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: How do you interrupt this, could you please put it into basic language and not doctor terminology so it is easier to understand ` Thank you

Bilateral Hip
Two small corticated structures are noted along the left femoral head. a 7 mm oval lesion is present anterior inferior to the femoral head with a smaller 4 mm lesion posterosuperior to the femoral head in the region of the lateral acetabulum. Differential considerations would include interarticular bodies though nonaccessory ossicle or calcified thrombus could have a similar appearance. Sever left disc space narrowing at L4-5 is incidentally noted.
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
These are generally benign lesions.

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Your findings suggests two bony small lesions in left hip cavity(where our femur bone meets with hip bone in actabular cavity).
These small bony lesions are generally due to benign causes and it doesn't require any treatment.
Small bony lesions in hip joint may be due to many causes like interarticular bodies(detached loose bodies in joint cavity,may be due to aging).Other causes may be non accessory bone(found in some persons naturally as additional bone) or calcified thrombus(calcification in small hemorrhage).

There is also severe loss of inter vertebral disc at L4-5 level.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Indu Kumar 8 hours later
thank you for explaining in simper terms!

Can these 2 lesions in my left hip be causing me daily pain and stiffness in both hips? (Majority of the pain comes from the left hip, stiffness in the right).

I walk with a slight limp, occasionally feels like..my left hip pops out of joint (don't know how to explain that) and there is bone rubbing on bone. What are your thoughts on this?

when I stand up straight, put my legs together my left hip curves outward (to the left) a lot father than my right hip curves to the right - why would that be? basic body deformation?

If there was arthritis in the hip, would the x-ray shown that and would it be mentioned in the radiology report? (RA is a

Over time can these 7mm and 4mm lesion become larger with wear and tear and require a hip replacement?

It is mention there is no treatment, what would you suggest I consider doing to elevate the daily pain and stiffness? I do not want to get addicted to alieve or any type of drugs...I am a trekker and finding the pain/stiffness is becoming more difficult and painful...

thank you,
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Loose bodies in hip joint may cause symptoms like pain,locking etc.

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Your condition need clinical correlation and further investigations like MRI.
Since you have problem in both hips and loose bodies are present only in left hip,so your problem due to loose bodies is unlikely.
It is important to assess cartilage in both hip joints.

Abnormal hip curvature may indicate valgus or varus deformity.It need clinical assessment.

Total hip replacement is advised in advanced degenerative cases.Before that these cases are tried to manage conservatively in the form of physiotherapy,medicines,steroid injections etc.

Symptomatic cases of loose bodies may require arthroscopic removal.

I suggests for proper clinical correlation and MRI.
Proper treatment depend upon findings.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Indu Kumar 6 hours later
Thank you again.
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are most welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Hello

You are most welcome.

Get well soon.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist