• question-icon

Suggest treatment for tuberculosis

Posted on Mon, 7 Aug 2017 in Infections
Question: I have TB. I was on AKT 4 for two months, but I skipped a few doses. I weigh 73 kgs and my doctor said I need to have akurit 4 now. The thing is, I thought we need to have it post breakfast,but I'm reading that it should be had without food. Can someone please guide me?
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is the Rifampicin part that has to be taken on empty stomach.

Detailed Answer:
Hi welcome to health care magic, you are absolutely right.
It is the Rifampicin part that has to be taken on empty stomach.Rest of the three medicines can actually be taken singly remaining part of the day to increase tolerance. But you can do this.
Take Omeprazole with domperidone combination early morning on empty stomach.
15 minutes later take AKT-4. Wait for half hour before taking tea/plus a few biscuits.
I have found this the ideal way to manage.
Also get your liver functions done at least once a month.
You can revert back.
regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Geeta Sundar