question-icon

Suggest treatment for trichomoniasis

Posted on Wed, 16 Jul 2014
Question: I have been exposed to Trichomoniasis, I was on Doxycycline for an eye issue when it happened. I am at the end of 14 days of 100mg Doxycycline. Will this be sufficient to control the exposure?

Would normal penicillin be effective in this case?
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath (34 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Antiprotozoal treatment required

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to health care magic.

Trichomoniasis is a condition caused by a genital flagellate called Trichomonas vaginalis.

It is a protozoal parasite which is not killed by antibiotics like penicillin.

Metronidazole is highly effective in such cases.

Dose of 250mg three times daily for seven days is usually given in these cases.

It is a sexually transmitted disease and hence simultaneous treatment of sexual partner is also essential to prevent recurrence.

I hope I have cleared your doubts.

Please get back if any more clarifications.

Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Roopa Hiremath

Infectious Diseases Specialist