Suggest treatment for tremors throughout the body

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Fri, 23 Sep 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: all over tremors. I have had the shakes for a long time. my dr. can't figure cause.

Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
More information needed

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I am sorry about the situation you are in.

However some more information is needed to at least try to make a suggestion. Tremor can be a manifestation of many conditions, neurological, endocrine, metabolic issues.
So some questions need to be asked such as:

-does your tremor appear (or worsens) at rest, when holding arms outstretched in front, or when moving, aiming at something
-any factor improving or worsening the tremor
-is the right and left side equally affected, were they equal from the onset, which body parts (only the hands or other parts such as the head, tongue etc).
-time of onset (saying a long time is relative), was it initiated by any particular medication or illness
-is it affected by drinking alcohol
-any other family members with tremor
-any tests you have done (head imaging, hormonal levels, liver and kidney function, electrolyte panel etc)
-what medications have you tried which have failed?

As I said the causes can be many, parkinson's disease, stroke, essential tremor, tremor due to metabolic alterations, medication side effects, high thyroid function, anxiety etc. So to differentiate between them and discuss further management some answers to the topics above are needed.