• question-icon

Suggest treatment for travellers diarrhea

Posted on Mon, 30 May 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hello,
From two weeks I have been suffering from motion after meal. (any light snack, breakfast, dinner). Was diagnosed travellers diaorhea and adviced a course of Rifagut 200mg and Bifilac during which period I was very comfortable and no issues. Now that the medication is over, the old has come back again. When queried, the doctor has asked to stop medication and it will settle down. I travel, have two pegs of whisky and smoke socially for many years now, but as mentioned earlier, this problem has started since two weeks and has been causing a lot of embarassment to me especially when am travelling.
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Rule out parasitic infestations and stool test

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome.
I have gone through your query.
I would like to know do you have abdominal pass or only have urge to pass motion post food.
Urge to go to the toilet after food can be due to Intestinal parasites like Giardiasis or other intestinal worms. The typical symptoms are postprandial hurry.
I would suggest that you have a proper physical examination done by a doctor and also have a stool test done to look for any intestinal parasites. Further treatment should be targeted according to the specific diagnosis.

I would also like to suggest the following general measures to help decrease your symptoms:
1) Avoid foods that cause gastric irritation like spicy foods, coffee, tea, carbonated drinks, etc. smoking and alcohol are also gastric irritants.
2) Eat at regular intervals and avoid delaying meals.
3) Increase the fiber content in your diet - take more of vegetables and fruits.
4) Avoid eating outside; especially avoid all kinds of junk food and fast foods.
5) Try to have a healthy lifestyle with regular exercise and proper sleep habits.
6) you can also try probiotics like sporolac or ecobion will be beneficial.
Try these measures and also get the investigation to rule out any parasitic infection.

This provisional advice provided by me is based entirely on the input provided to me. I would suggest examination by the doctor.

I hope this suggestion might be of some help to you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Follow up: Dr. Harish Naik 16 hours later
Hello Dr XXXXXXX

Thanks for your advice. Firstly, its not an urge but I do have abdominal pass and off late quite frequent. Secondly, I am a strict vegetarian and also very systematic when it comes to food. I very rarely eat outside while in town and during my travel, I always carry mineral water and eat only safe and light food.
Third, I retire to bed early and get up early too.
Despite all these, am suffering from this problem. Please do advice a remedy for this. Thank you!!
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Kindly find the answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
As you are following most of the thing, I would recommend you to take probiotics which can be helpful, avoid drinking water during food, drink it after 10 to 15 minutes. And the stool examination.
Kindly try this, it should be helpful.

Dr. Harish Naik