Suggest treatment for torn scaphonlunate ligament in left hand

Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: hello im 23 and i have a torn scaphonlunate ligamaent in my left hand I'm left handed and i am very active in and out of work the doctor i seen did a x ray and mri and told me id have to have a 4 corner bone fusion and won't have any mobility in my wrist cause he is worried about arthritis what would be my other options on surgery to still have mobility and have hand strength in my wrist to do hevey activity
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I want to know little detail about your illness

Detailed Answer:
Hello ,
This ligament is necessary for hand function but I do not think that fusion is answer. I want to know little detail about your illness before I advising you .
1. What is the complain in your hand?
2. When did you sustain this injury?
3. Can you send me your x ray or MRI report?
Please answer these questions. I will try my best to help you.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 2 hours later
i have extreme pain in my had when any pressure is put on it as in trying to lift something. it can't be bent back with me bending it with my other hand, the doctor told me that he is worried about arthritis and he thinks i may have had it for a while so he doesn't want to do any other surgery he recommended the fusion but before my injury I've never had any previous signs or symptoms of it . i can get the x -rays and mri's from the doctors office in the morning and send them to u . and the injury occurred about a month ago
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I do not think fusion is right option

Detailed Answer:
I do not think fusion is right choice for one month old injury and that too in such a younger age. I do not think that arthritis can occur in such injury. Please send me reports. I will try to give you alternative solution.
Thanks