Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

126 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for tooth infection post RCT

Answered by
Dr. Shesh Jaiswal

Dentist, Endodontics

Practicing since :2007

Answered : 305 Questions

Posted on Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Dental Health
Question: Hello,

I am mouth-washing with urine three times a day for two days now to help alleviate the tooth-pain after still uncompleted root-canal treatment of a molar in the lower right jar, no. 6 (2 canals filled, 2 still open and medicated, one of them only discovered and cleared yesterday). It helps (dramatic improvement in the first two days after canal treatment), but since this morning I am having a terrible ammonia taste in the mouth after the rinsing and I am afraid that this comes out of my root-canalled tooth and indicates that the temporary filling (cavit with glass ionomer on top) or any other hite filling) might be leaking (or even the root canal ones?) because of the urine rinses which are also thouth to help with infection. Can you advise on that?
Attached is an image of the tooth today which I sent to my endodontist, but he claims the dark spot in the middle of the tooth is not a hole but the temporarily filling, of which the glass ionoma bit has discoloured brownish. To me it looks black-grey with a smaller blacker round circle in the middle. Is this something to be worried about and do I have to see the dentist to check it?
Answered by Dr. Shesh Jaiswal 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
dark band in the middle is GIC

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX wecome back.
I have seen your report. It looks like a glass inomer cement filling.but i expected an intraoral periapiacal xray ( IOPA) instead of a picture of the tooth.
The dark area around the middle of teeth is a filling not an dont have to worry about that but after RCT you should not have recurrent pain.may be either some root canals are still missing or the root canals what are filled that is not proper.
I would advice you to ask your dentist about this or you can take a second opinion.
Hope this ans helps.take care.
Dr. Shesh
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on