question-icon

Suggest treatment for tonsils

Posted on Mon, 17 Aug 2015
Question: My daughter is 3 years and 5 months old. She has developed tonsils.
Please advise what medicine I should use and keep with me for immediate relief.
What are the precautions I should take related to her diet.
She does not eat properly even when she is normal.
I am residing at BEML Layout ITPL Road.
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj (3 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Warm fluids will help her

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for your query.

Getting tonsils is common during childhood and recent recommendation is to treat it with medicines rather than surgery. Mostly it is acute and recurs during infections of the throat.

For immediate relief you can give her antiallergic medicine like cetrizine syrup (dose according to her age) once or twice daily. It is to be given for secretions in nose and throat. You will need to take her to an ear nose and throat specialist to check if there is bacterial infection and take antibiotics accordingly.

Regarding diet, please give her warm fluids that will reduce inflammation. Also give her semi solid thick foods. Avoid raw fruits and salad. Give her 3 proper meals and 2-3 small snacks in a day. Avoid giving milk before food. Limit the quantity of milk to less than 500 ml.

Hope it helps.

Dr Vaishalee
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Vaishalee Punj