Suggest treatment for tonsillitis

Dr. Satvinder Bakshi

ENT Specialist

Posted on Wed, 9 Nov 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: TONSILITIES
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
There will be no problem if you dont get operated

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Tonsillitis is not an absolute indication for surgery and all patients can be managed conservatively with medications. I am not sure about the efficacy and safety of homeopathic medicines as we do not deal with them.

Surgery is only indicated when the child has difficulty in breathing at night consequently the child will be sleepy in morning and the school performance will drop.

There will be no problem in the immunity even if you get the tonsils removed and this has been proven in many scientific studies.

Coming to your other queries recurrent tonsillitis will reduce school performance and quality of life, but is unlikely to cause growth retardation or curbing. Your second statement is also correct, as the child age increases the tonsillitis will automatically remove and by the child is 10-12 years old , he is unlikely to get the infection. Please remember his is the natural course of the infection and happens in most of the kids, however there will still be a few kids where the tonsils will continue to be a focus of infection and may need continued medications/surgery.

Hope i have answered all your doubts

Take care!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar