Suggest treatment for tonsillitis

Dr. Priyanka G Raj

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in General Health
Question: Hi,

My niece is 8 years old, and he has got Tonsillitis. Sometimes the problem will be very worst that he cant even have his food and pain relief medication.

As consulted with doctor, its been advised to undergo surgery to remove, but when i checked in internet its been advised that removing from surgery is not a good option.

What is your suggestion, how can we deal with this problem. Is there any home remedies available for complete cure.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Priyanka G Raj 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
surgery depends on the severity of infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the query
Tonsillectomy is recommended if a child has frequent throat infections or if the child shows signs of obstruction while sleeping.
1.Tonsils usually are enlarged when they get infected, but some children have
large tonsils to begin with.
2. Enlarged tonsils can obstruct breathing at night, leading to snoring, mouth
breathing and sleep apnea. While snoring by itself does not necessarily mean
that your child has a clinically significant obstruction that might result in apnea
(stopping breathing) or hypopnea (slowing down of the breathing), it does not
mean that your child is safe either.
3. Signs of obstructive sleep apnea may include, snoring, restless sleep, mouth
breathing, drooling at night, bed wetting, morning irritability, night terrors, poor
daytime attention and poor school performance.
4.If your child has any of these symptoms, then he or she should be evaluated for
the presence of a sleep disturbance, and a tonsillectomy may be recommended.

safety of surgery
Tonsillectomy is an extremely safe procedure offering excellent recovery rates and outcomes. Often done on an outpatient basis under a general anesthesia, it typically takes less than an hour. Some children, however, may have other medical issues, such as asthma or sleep apnea, that increase their risk.

If you have any doubt you are welcome.
Dr Priyanka G Raj
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar