Suggest treatment for tonsillitis

Dr. Ronald Schubert

Posted on Fri, 14 Nov 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My sons throat is red and hurting. It looks sort of like a sponge it appears he has holes on his throat. He is a 15 years old. What could this be?
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Tonsillitis

Detailed Answer:
thanks for contacting HCM.

You are concerned about your son and his sore throat. from your description it sounds like he has tonsillitis or strep throat. iI recommend that he be seen by a doctor tonight. He needs to be placed on antibiotics to treat the infection
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Ronald Schubert 38 minutes later
Here is a picturw the best i could get. I cant get him to a doctor til the morning.
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Strep throat

Detailed Answer:
thanks for submitting your picture. Your son's throat looks like strep throat. I recommend that he be seen. He will probably need a strep screen and then started on an antibiotics. if there is an urgent care near you that is where I would take him. If not then he can be seen tomorrow by his doctor.

For tonight use warm salt water gargles to sooth the throat. Also try tylenol or asprirn for pain or fever.

Hope that helps you and your son.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju