Suggest treatment for tonsillitis, low grade fever and fatigue while on Augmentin

Dr. Ralph Chambers

Posted on Mon, 22 Aug 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My son (teen) has had a few bouts of tonsillitis and the ENT is planning on removing his tonsils. The other day he started feeling poorly, sore throat, etc. Unable to get into ENT I took him to an urgent care. They prescribed Augmentin. He has been taking it since Monday. NO fever, headache (treated with Tylenol) and swollen glands. The tonsils look huge. He started sweating today but just around the head area, not his body. He said he is just feeling really tired but is alert, etc. I guess my question is, should I be worried about the sweating. We see the ENT Monday morning
Thank you for any feedback XXXXXXX Hartman
Answered by Dr. Ralph Chambers 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hello, XXXXXXX The sweating is just from a low grade fever.

Detailed Answer:
Even without much of a real fever, sweating can occur and the most important thing is to keep up with the fluid and electrolyte loss with GatorAde and juices.

Augmentin is an appropriate antibiotic here. He should be fine until he can see the ENT.

Please let me know if you need any more information.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ralph Chambers 1 hour later
Thank you very much for the feedback. This helps and is appreciated. XXXXXXX Hartman
Answered by Dr. Ralph Chambers 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This is really nothing serious

Detailed Answer:
Just keep him well hydrated, XXXXXXX