Suggest treatment for tonsillitis and severe headache
It is now morning and she has woken up very nauseous with a severe headache and can't decide if she is hot or cold.
What should we do?
She has been out of sorts for the last 2 weeks. A lot of nausea and headaches. She also has pus on her tonsils. She gets tonsillitis several times a year.
She has been stressed lately from finishing up her nursing degree and also family issues.
I feel like she is just run down and needs to rest up but she still feels scared.
Please go to a clinic to get a throat swab and evaluation.
I would advise at this point that she be seen promptly in a clinic. My reasons for this are:
- pus on tonsils (with a history of frequent tonsillitis)
- severe headache
Also, she sounds pretty ill given the shivering and cold feeling even though she was sweating. I am guessing she has a fever - could you please check it with a thermometer?
She may have strep tonsillitis, but she may have other severe causes of infection too.
While it is possible some of her symptoms may be from stress or anxiety which you describe, I think the symptoms she is having are concerning for a significant infection and should be evaluated promptly. Strep pharyngitis (strep throat) left untreated can lead to heart damage. I tend to be relatively slow or withholding regarding prescribing antibiotics, but for strep throat, it is not an infection to wait and see on. With the headaches and nausea I would also want to make sure she does not have a form of meningitis.
So please go to a doctor or clinic, both for them to assess her with a physical exam, and with a throat swab of her tonsils.
I hope this information helps with your decision making.
Its 4.30am and she woke up over an hour ago in a lot of pain frm her throat and ears.
Her heart is racing with quite a high temp.
She is light headed and nauseas. She vomited when she woke up and it looked like bile or even pus.
Please take her in to ER
She sounds very sick. I really think she needs to go in to the emergency room.
She may need IV fluids given the nausea, vomiting, light headedness.
She will likely need a different antibiotic because:
- Some strep infections are resistant to erythromycin
- Erythromycin can cause nausea and vomiting, especially if it hasn't been taken after eating.
She needs to be seen promptly - please take her in.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for severe headache with bp
- Severe headache with fever suggest treatment
- What is the treatment for severe headaches
- Treatment for severe headaches
- Suggest treatment for severe headaches due to naspopharangeal carcinoma
- Severe headache with nausea treatment
- Suggest treatment for severe headaches and eye pain
- Suggest treatment for severe headache and continuous cold
- Treatment and cure for Severe headache
- Suggest treatment for severe headache
- What causes persistent headache along with depression and misery at work?
- Can i take Benadryl and Chlorpheniramine for bee sting?
- Suggest treatment for premature ejaculation
- Suggest treatment for fibromyalgia, chronic neuropathy, OA and skeletal...
- What causes eye floaters?
- Is it necessary to be tested for cancer inspite of having family history...
- Suggest treatment for elevated systolic pressure despite medication
- Suggest treatment for severe stomach pain
- Suggest treatment for Ménière's disease
- Suggest treatment for dyslexia