• question-icon

Suggest treatment for tinnitus

Posted on Tue, 18 Jul 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have had this pulsating sound in my ear that has been on and off since 2013. I was told it was tinnitus and is pretty much something I have to deal with. I've pretty much just tried to ignore it and eventually it goes away. However, lately it's been constant and hasn't gone away for weeks. Also, this time it fells full like my ear is always clogged. I've cleaned them and there is nothing. The most annoying thing, aside from the pulsating, is that I always sound kind of surround sound to myself. I hope that makes since. It's just my right ear. Is this still just tinnitus or something else?
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Tinnitus

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HealthcareMagic and thanks for putting up the query,

Tinnitus is usually due to sensorineural hearing loss. At such an early age it can be a result of some medication or loud noise trauma or head injury.

Please tell me if there is any such history previously also.

You should get a pure tone audiometry done and send me the report.

Take tablet Cinnarizine twice daily for a week and tablet vitamin B-12 1500 micrograms once daily for a week. All these medicines will be available only on prescription by your local physician.

Please follow up with the required information so that I can suggest you better.

Thanks and regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 16 minutes later
I have never experienced any loud noise traumas. In fact, I avoid loud noises as much as possible and I've never had any type of head trauma.

Also if this helps, it is always in sync with my heart beat. I've described it to my doctor as hearing my pulse in my ear. If I apply heavy pressure to my neck, underneath my ear but behind where my ear is located, it quiets down almost to where I can't hear anything. As soon as I let go it comes right back.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Tinnitus

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the information.
You should get a CECT NECK done to rule out any glomus disease. You should visit an ENT SPECIALIST and get the investigations done.
Also get a pure tone audiometry done and send me the reports.
Start with the medicines as prescribed but you must get yourself investigated.
Any further questions are always welcome.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist