• question-icon

    Suggest treatment for tinnitus

Posted on Tue, 18 Jul 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have had this pulsating sound in my ear that has been on and off since 2013. I was told it was tinnitus and is pretty much something I have to deal with. I've pretty much just tried to ignore it and eventually it goes away. However, lately it's been constant and hasn't gone away for weeks. Also, this time it fells full like my ear is always clogged. I've cleaned them and there is nothing. The most annoying thing, aside from the pulsating, is that I always sound kind of surround sound to myself. I hope that makes since. It's just my right ear. Is this still just tinnitus or something else?
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HealthcareMagic and thanks for putting up the query,

Tinnitus is usually due to sensorineural hearing loss. At such an early age it can be a result of some medication or loud noise trauma or head injury.

Please tell me if there is any such history previously also.

You should get a pure tone audiometry done and send me the report.

Take tablet Cinnarizine twice daily for a week and tablet vitamin B-12 1500 micrograms once daily for a week. All these medicines will be available only on prescription by your local physician.

Please follow up with the required information so that I can suggest you better.

Take care
Thanks and regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 16 minutes later
I have never experienced any loud noise traumas. In fact, I avoid loud noises as much as possible and I've never had any type of head trauma.

Also if this helps, it is always in sync with my heart beat. I've described it to my doctor as hearing my pulse in my ear. If I apply heavy pressure to my neck, underneath my ear but behind where my ear is located, it quiets down almost to where I can't hear anything. As soon as I let go it comes right back.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 8 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the information.
You should get a CECT NECK done to rule out any glomus disease. You should visit an ENT SPECIALIST and get the investigations done.
Also get a pure tone audiometry done and send me the reports.
Start with the medicines as prescribed but you must get yourself investigated.
Any further questions are always welcome.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Answered by
Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist

Practicing since :2008

Answered : 1392 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Hearing loss

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctor, I am epileptic patient from the age of 12 years. I am 26 now. Have had 11 seizures since then. 4 of them in the last year, because of...

doctor1 MD

I am having a throbbing,pulsing and swishing noises going on in my head. I am a 55 year old female, healthy, have normal blood pressure, 5ft.5in....

doctor1 MD

sir, I am operated for epidermoid at left cerebello pontine angle .I suffered with post operative complications like hearing loss (up to 53...

doctor1 MD

Friend had severe sickness, diarrhea & stomach pain possible diagnosis of colitis. However, although slowly recovering he had hearing loss in left...

doctor1 MD

What does a mastoidectomy involve? What type of care is required before and after such a procedure?

doctor1 MD

Dr. Eni My daughter is home now and is still nauseous, and dizzy with stomach pain, but is doing better since receiving CBD anally. No reason was...

doctor1 MD

I've seen 2 doctors. I've also emailed back and fourth with Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX on this site. My symptoms are ringing in the left ear. Low grade...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

122 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal
  • Q - What causes pulsatile tinnitus?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for fatigue, mild headache and tightness in the chest

  • Q - Suggest remedies for metallic taste in the mouth

  • Q - Suggest treatment for breathing difficulty in an asthma patient

  • Q - How can a cyst below the tonsil be treated?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for mouth ulcers

  • Q - What causes blood in sputum when diagnosed with TB?

  • Q - Is HIV 4th generation test done three weeks after exposure conclusive?

  • Q - Can cerumen cause tinnitus?

  • Q - Is inhaling plastic fumes harmful?