Suggest treatment for tinnitus

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2014
Apr 2014

Radiologist
Question
Hi, I'm 28 years old I have tinnitus since 4 to 5 moths now. I have made MRI. and these are the results:
" Mild diffuse involutiona cerebral volume loss with prominence of the extra-axial CSF spaces overlying the frontal convexities.
There is no restricted diffusion to suggest recent ischemic process. No definite intracranial hemorrhage on susceptibility weighted images. There is not intra or extra-axial mass or vasogenic edema. Ventricular system is normal in size and configuration. Major vascular flow voids are unremarkable. There is no extra-axial fluid collection.
There is no enhancing lesion in the IAC or CP angle bilaterally. The membranous labyrinth structures are unremarkable.
There is no abnormal meningeal or parenchymal enhancement.
Bilateral orbits and mastoids are unremarkable. The visualized paranasal sinuses are clear."

I'm very worried about the first line discussing the mild diffuse involutional cerebral volume loss. What does this mean ? is it serious case ? and if this is a problem, will it affect me in any way in my future ? and how it must be treated ? As I mentioned I'm just 28 years old woman. How this will affect me ?

Thanks,
XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Cerebral cortical atrophy is age related finding.

Detailed Answer:
Hello N.alnakhala
Thanks for writing to HCM

Mild diffuse involutional cerebral volume loss with prominence of the extra-axial CSF spaces overlying the frontal convexities indicates mild cerebral cortical atrophy.
Cerebral cortical atrophy is age related finding.However,it may be early seen in various disease conditions like various neurodegenerative disorders,alcoholism,infection etc.

Cerebral cortical atrophy causes loss of brain parenchyma and it allows C.S.F spaces to expand.Due to shrinkage gyri and sulci over the brain becomes prominent.

In your case,it is early considering your age.
You need proper clinical examination and investigations to rule out any systemic illness.
You need few more investigations like random blood sugar(RBS),renal function test(RFT),Lipid profile,complete liver function test,urine RE/ME.

If investigations are o.K then nothing is required.It will not cause any problem.

Rest of the findings are normal.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for tinnitus 1 hour later
Dear Dr.
Thanks for your reply.
I have done all of these tests except the complete urine test. and all the results were ok.
So what is the consequences of my case ? as I'm 28 years old, and this started early. so Will I face problems in the future ? for example Alzheimer, memory loss, concentration loss ? or any other type of disease ? Will I be able to live and function normally ?

Is this case can be caused by old head accident as I hit my head strongly when I was 11 years old. can this be the reason of this case now ?

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for tinnitus 38 minutes later
Thanks for the reply
So do you think the tinnitus I have is caused from this issue ?

Thanks

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please find detail answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing back

Mild cerebral atrophy is not related to tinnitus.
However,you need proper evaluation by a ENT specialist for tinnitus.

I presume that your are fine at present but you need follow up MRI scan.
Cause of mild atrophy should be searched.As many investigation has been done and these are fine.Lastly you can go for baseline functional MRI so that it can be compared in future.

I think if disease doesn't progress further then it is unlikely to cause any problem in future but if it progresses then it may cause various neurological symptoms.

You should consult neurologist.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX