Suggest treatment for tinnitus while experiencing cough and cold

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi i am feeling buzzing noise like oassing of air in my right ear. Kindly help
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Could be due to cough and cold

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query. I think I can precisely explain what is going on. Our ear has three parts: The external ear (upto the eardrum), the middle ear (having connection to the inner throat via Eustachian tube on each side) and the inner ear (containing the cochlea, the organ of hearing). It seems that you have caught a cold. This has led to thickening of the mucus, thus blocking the Eustacian tube(s) which normalize the air pressure outside (in the throat) and middle ear. The blockage is leading to pressure differences in the middle ear which is responsible for the occasional buzzing that you are complaining of.

You need to take steam inhalation (through mouth and nose). The water in form of vapor will reach deep inside and would help in diluting the mucus and would thus provide relief.

I hope that would help. If it does not, it would be a good idea to visit an ENT doctor and to get yourself examined.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D